Wednesday, November 28, 2007

When I Am Summoned

by Rav Avraham Yitzchak Kook



What do I feel when I am summoned to study matters of the spirit? A sickness of the heart and discomfort. Why is this so? Because as that spiritual demand grows stronger within me, my spirit grows especially aware of its moral poverty, and of its spiritual [poverty] in general.

But the spiritual weakness born of this phenomenon is an absolute imperfection, it is a stain upon the soul. One must battle against it with a stalwart heart. The spiritual gaze must be rich, constant and broad, powerful and straightforward.

The weakness and inner pain caused within the spirit by the conflagration of the fear of heaven is in itself an imperfection and sickness. One must acquire clear concepts in this area of holiness, until this uncultured aversion will decrease and be replaced with strength and a broad consciousness.

Chadarav, pp. 107-108

No comments: